Orlando suspect faces charges in officer's death

A day after an expletive-laced court appearance on charges he killed his pregnant ex-girlfriend, Markeith Loyd was more subdued but still interrupted a judge when he went before her on five new charges filed against him in the death of Lt. Debra Clayton. He already is charged in the death of his pregnant former girlfriend.

As suspected Orlando cop killer Markeith Loyd was captured, police chopper video showed that he was crawling on the ground towards a group of officers, after which he appeared to be kicked in the head by at least one officer.

He went on to speak in defense of three people who were arrested as accomplices for allegedly helping him evade arrest - and placed himself at the Wal-Mart store where the officer was shot.

He told also the judge he wanted to represent himself in court and later snapped "F--k you!" at her before bailiffs escorted him out.

Markeith Loyd said that the allegations against him are "made up", and claimed that authorities beat him up even though he did not resist arrest in the aftermath of an extensive and intense manhunt.

"It's just tradition so that people can come see her vehicle, and you know, it's a piece of her", Orlando police Chief John Mina said.

The police cruiser of slain Orlando officer Lt. Debra Clayton, serving as a makeshift memorial, has been defaced with graffiti. Loyd said Dixon's brother, Ronald Stewart, attacked him during the encounter. Mina said officers are judged regarding the "totality of circumstances" when they look at use of force; officials will try to determine what an objectively reasonable officer would have done in light of those circumstances that night. Based on the projectile of that bullet, Loyd was standing over Clayton when he fired the fatal shot, police said.

Mina called the camera pulling away "concerning" and said the apparent use of force will be investigated.

The judge ordered him held without bond.

According to local reports, Loyd is alleging that he suffered several broken bones in his face and may lose sight in his left eye as a result of injuries sustained during the arrest.

Loyd hasn't yet been charged with killing Clayton, but Mina expects charges to be brought no later than Monday. Loyd had to be hospitalized until Wednesday night, and was then jailed.

Officers involved in the arrest are still on full duty, Mina said.