Kabul Attack: Gunmen Storm Military Hospital Dressed As Doctors

The assault in the Afghan capital began with an explosion before up to five attackers entered the 400-bed Sardar Mohammad Daud Khan hospital, which is close to the U.S. embassy.

An Afghan policeman stands between emergency vehicles on a road in Kabul on March 8, 2017.

Gunmen, including at least one dressed as a doctor, have attacked a military hospital in an area close to the United States embassy in the Afghan capital, Kabul.

Over thirty people have been killed after attackers dressed as doctors stormed into the largest military hospital in Kabul, sparking a fierce gun battle, Afghan officials say. "Most of the victims are patients, doctors and nurses."Afghanistan's warring parties, including government forces, have repeatedly targeted medical facilities, decimating the country's fragile health system and preventing conflict-displaced civilians from accessing life-saving care".

At least two other loud explosions - including what the defence ministry called a vehicle bomb in the hospital's parking lot - were heard as Afghan special forces launched a clearance operation to rein in the attackers.

All four attackers were killed following several hours of fighting with commandos who landed on the Sardar Duad hospital roof.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the assault via its Amaq news agency, which comes months after its first attacks in the country. The government has been struggling to curb attacks that are increasingly high-profile and sophisticated by emboldened terror groups. The movement is based in the Middle East but has established a solid presence on the border with Pakistan. He also heard shots from several other points.

Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani condemned the attacks during a speech honoring International Women's Day, saying the attack "trampled all human values", BBC reported".

As families and friends mourn the loss of those killed in an attack on a military hospital in Kabul, Afghan officials launched an investigation on those responsible for the attack.

General John Nicholson, commander of the Nato-led Resolute Support mission, praised Afghan forces which he said had responded "swiftly and professionally". "The attackers killed whoever they saw in the main building of the hospital".

"There is enough security at the entrance of the hospital, but these infidels are attacking places that are for the public and can not be totally sealed", Hazrat, who was visiting his brother at the hospital, said.

Aimal, a doctor who survived the attack, said he was trapped under the bullets for three hours.