Louisiana Jury Finds Officer Guilty in Fatal Shooting of 6-Year-Old

The Advocate reports (http://bit.ly/2oe880h ) that Stafford testified Friday that he shot at the auto because he feared Few was going to back up and hit the other deputy, Norris Greenhouse Jr. He had previously faced charges of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder in relation to the incident in Markville which was caught on camera.

A law enforcement officer in Marksville, La., was convicted of manslaughter Friday after a showdown with a fleeing father ended with the death of a 6-year-old autistic boy. "That is the only reason I fired my weapon", Stafford said.

Outside the courthouse Friday night, Stafford's attorneys expressed some relief that he wouldn't be facing the mandatory life sentence that accompanies a murder conviction in Louisiana.

Stafford fired 14 of the bullets, the court heard.

Greenhouse's murder trial is slated for later this year.

"Do those photos show you what a.40 caliber Glock will do to a 6-year-old boy?" a prosecutor asked during cross examination, reports The Advocate.

Few testified earlier this week that the deputies never gave any audible warnings before the shooting; he also says he never tried to escape, but only sped off to safely get his son to a girlfriend's house in the event that he would be arrested.

Few, who was behind the wheel of a small white auto, was hit.

Derrick Stafford and another deputy city marshal fired on a vehicle driven by the boy's father after a 2-mile chase. At least four of those bullets tore into Jeremy, who died within minutes.

"I felt I had no choice but to save Norris".

"As we have said all along, our goal in this case was to get justice for Jeremy Mardis, his family, and the people of Louisiana", Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry said in a statement. "Few's six-year-old son received five gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene", it also stated.

Few, though, testified that he never heard any warnings, and was driving safely towards his girlfriend in another vehicle ahead so that after a potential arrest, he could leave Mardis with her.

Few told the court that he didn't know his son had died until he woke up from a coma almost a week later.

"Most definitely", Few said.

Before the shooting, Stafford and Greenhouse both had been sued over claims they had used excessive force or neglected their duties as police officers.

He was suspended from the Marksville Police Department after getting indicted on rape charges in 2011.