Girl suffers third-degree burns after making homemade slime

A MA girl is recovering after she suffered second- and third-degree burns to her hands from the popular do-it-yourself slime project.

"It felt like really hot and tingly", Kathleen Quinn explained. While she was at sleep-over, she noticed her hands were in pain.

Kathleen Quinn's hands were covered in second and third-degree burns after she made homemade slime at her house in Rockland, Massachusetts. Concerned, her parents took her to the hospital, where doctors said she'd received second and third-degree burns. "She was being a little scientist", Quinn told WCVB.

"It's not created to be a component for household projects like making slime", Consumer Reports Chief Scientific Officer James Dickerson tells PEOPLE.

Doctors said burns and blisters on her hands were due to Borax exposure.

"We made it a million times, too, and nothing happened", Quinn told WCVB.

Michaels has installed "Slime Headquarters" on aisle endcaps, with displays sporting glue and slime mix-ins like beads and glitter, according to the Associated Press.

"I thought it was great", Siobhan Quinn told ABC 13.

Siobhan said both of her daughters are avid hand washers, which is why she was surprised by the appearance of the blisters.

Both mothers have shared their stories in the hopes of making parents more aware of what can happen when making the concoction.

Consumer Reports' chief scientific officer, James Dickerson, has warned about the dangers of using Borax, which is meant to be a household cleaner or an additive for laundry, but many parents still use it.

YouTube also has multiple videos on making slime without the use of Borax.