Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

NYC building where fire killed 17 skipped inspection after officers were moved to COVID unit: report

The Bronx, New York City, building where 17 people – including eight children – died in a blaze earlier this year was due to receive a fire inspection before the tragedy, but never did because those tasked with examining the structure were reassigned to a unit that checked that restaurants were following COVID restrictions, according to a report. 

Oren Barzilay, president of Local 2507, the union that represents uniformed emergency medical technicians, paramedics and fire inspectors, testified last week before the City Council’s Fire and Emergency Management Committee.

“That building was scheduled to be inspected, but because they were sent to a task force, that building was not inspected,” he said, according to the New York Daily News. 

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

NYPD INVESTIGATING WHETHER RECENT NYC HOMELESS DEATH LINKED TO STARTLING MULTI-CITY PATTERN

Fire Department of New York Deputy Chief Inspector Michael Reardon testified that approximately 90 fire inspectors were transferred to different roles related to COVID policies, such as making sure that restaurants are following vaccine mandate requirements, according to the report. 

NYC’S BRONX APARTMENT HORROR: VETERAN FIRE MARSHAL WITH TIPS ON HOW TO SURVIVE IF FIRE CONSUMES YOUR HOME

“They were downsized to the point that some units were unable to do all the inspections they needed to do,” Reardon reportedly said. 

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Seventeen people died – nine adults and eight children – on Jan. 9 when the fire broke out at a 19-story building at 333 East 181st St. in the Fordham Heights neighborhood of the Bronx, officials said. About 200 firefighters responded and more than 60 people were hurt, authorities said. 

Initial reports said 19 people were killed in the fire. Authorities later modified the death toll to 17.

Fire officials said the blaze was caused by an “accidental, malfunctioning space heater.” The fire, which started on the second and third floors, was then exacerbated by open doors in part of the building, which allowed the fire and smoke to spread throughout it.

PHOTOS: HORRIFYING PICTURES PAINT DEADLY NYC APARTMENT FIRE AFTERMATH

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The building was outfitted with self-shutting doors, but they didn’t close properly, causing the smoke to permeate. 

An inspector was supposed to visit the building to check its stand pipe system about a year before the fire, Barzilay told the Daily News. While he or she would not have been primarily checking the doorways, an inspector would typically make note of any issues they come across, such as malfunctioning doors, the report says.

“If they had noticed anything else, they would have addressed the issue,” he told the News.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

He reportedly called the circumstances “terrible” and said he was not blaming current Mayor Eric Adams. 

“I’m blaming the previous administration for not thinking it through,” he told the News. 

A spokesperson for Adams’s office did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request seeking comment. 

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You May Also Like

News

Sens. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., and Tina Smith, D-Minn., co-authored an op-ed Saturday for the New York Times to voice their outrage over the end...

News

Attorney Ken Klukowski is accusing the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol of withholding evidence, saying...

News

“The Next Revolution” host Steve Hilton said Sunday that the latest Supreme Court ruling on abortion underscores the importance of “decentralizing government” and returning...

Sports

NHL fans watching Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final between the Colorado Avalanche and the Tampa Bay Lightning wondered where the penalty call...

Advertisement